A global hunt for the universe’s missing matter is underway, and this autumn everyone is invited to join in.
On and around Halloween 2022 events around the world will celebrate the hunt for the universe’s unseen dark matter. Royal Holloway joins the celebrations with a lecture from Prof. Jocelyn Monroe, who is a researcher in the Physics department and an expert in novel detectors.
The Universe is over thirteen billion years old and consists of hundreds of billions of galaxies each containing hundreds of billions of stars. Over the past 2000 years our understanding of the Universe has greatly improved: from having the Earth at its centre to having no centre at all! However, in the last 80 years, it has become apparent that we understand less than 5% of the Universe – the other 95% being made up of the mysterious Dark Matter and Dark Energy.
In this lecture, Prof. Monroe will take us through the challenges and opportunities of the current generation of Dark Matter detectors - and the innovations that the scientific community is looking forward to.
Coffee and light refreshments will be served from 4:30pm. Attendance is free.
Register to attend this lecture at: